Re: question about frame local variable

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: question about frame local variable
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:05:37 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>  > (BTW, calling select-frame in redisplay would almost certainly not be
>>  > the right thing to do, which probably gets obvious when taking a look
>>  > at what that function does.)
>>
>>  How about calling a select_frame_internal_for_variables_only ?

That seems to be a good idea.  But, as I'm quite unfamiliar
with how frame-local variables are implemented, I don't know
how to write such a funciton.  I would very much appreciate
if someone else implements it.

I found this code in redisplay_window (xdisp.c).

  /* Really select the buffer, for the sake of buffer-local
     variables.  */
  set_buffer_internal_1 (XBUFFER (w->buffer));

Perhaps, we should call
select_frame_internal_for_variables_only around there.

> To swap frame-local bindings into C variables, I suppose?  That would
> be the alternative to searching in frame parameters, yes.  I guess
> it's even better than assq, because it's more general, although it
> might do a little bit more work than strictly necessary.

I think that "a little bit more work" is negligible because
the display engine already does "set-buffer" as above.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden