Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Ted Lemon
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:45:41 -0600

On Dec 1, 2003, at 10:04 AM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
I think migrating Emacs towards a threading model is possible:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what's the payoff you're expecting when you're done with this project? What is it about Emacs that makes it worth a major rewrite in order to make it multithreaded? I realize that multithreading will introduce small conveniences in some cases, but in general writing multithreaded code is a total pain in the neck, so my guess is that the cost of those small conveniences would be more than they'd be worth, and you might be able to get them cheaper using some other technique, if you could identify what they are.