Re: Info enhancements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:29:35 +0200

> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:12:17 +0000 (UTC)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
>
>    But what do you think about recording the locations of index entries
>    in the tag table?
>
> The problem is, I think your fear:
>
>    I hope this will not break older Info readers, ...
>
> If the suggestion does not break older Info readers, then I am all
> for it.  But I think it will break them.  Karl, what do you think?

AFAICS, it will break them: the first time Info sees a line in the
tag table that is neither a "Node:" nor a "Ref:" line, it decides
that it's outside the tag table and stops looking for further tags.
So all the nodes and anchors after the first unrecognized line will
be absent from the internal data structure created by the reader from
the tag table, and the corresponding nodes and anchors will not be
found.

Or so it seemed to me when I glanced over the code (of the stand-alone
Info reader).  But you don't need to take my word for it: it is very
easy to edit an Info file, add a line in the tag table that doesn't
match "Node:" and "Ref:" lines, and then see if you can still reach
every node and anchor in that file.