Re: completion-regexp-list and case-fold-search

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: completion-regexp-list and case-fold-search
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:17:29 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       1.  Make all the basic minibuffer completion functions bind
           `case-fold-search' to the value of `completion-ignore-case' around
           all calls to `{try,test}-completion' and `all-completions', as
           `partial-completion-mode' already does.

   That would be incorrect, since it would distort the behavior
   of many user commands in the minibuffer.

       Do we want to go for (1) or (2)?  With (1) we are absolutely certain
       that we do not break any code that was not already broken.  (Because
       all we do is make both values of `partial-completion-mode' consistent.)

   Are you saying that partial-completion-mode does something analogous
   to #1?  If so, I think that is a bug, and we should replace that
   with something analogous to #2.

I believe you misunderstood both proposal (1) and the behavior of
partial-completion-mode.   They bind `case-fold-search' _only_
immediately around the calls to the basic completion functions.
During the recursive edit, the user customized value of
`case-fold-search' is in effect, in the minibuffer as elsewhere.

Nevertheless, I believe that proposal (2) is more intuitive, much
easier to document, and less prone to all kinds of bugs.  So I will
implement proposal (2).

Sincerely,

Luc.