Re: Defcustom write-file-functions and write-contents-functions?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Defcustom write-file-functions and write-contents-functions?
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:41:31 -0600 (CST)

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

   Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

   > Do you really want to make those two functions customizable through
   > Custom?

   If not, it would probably be a good idea to add a comment to the
   defvar stating why they are not declared with decustom.

As soon as it is clear whether we want the new hook `before-save-hook'
(which I personally believe would be a good idea), I could add some
comments to the documentation strings of `write-file-functions' and
`write-contents-functions' as well as to their description in
`(elisp)Saving Buffers'.  Basically, people have been trying to use
especially `write-file-functions' for things it was not intended for
and can not be used for, because it is not guaranteed to run.  If we
add `before-save-hook', we can tell people to use that customizable,
normal, unconditionally run hook instead.

Sincerely,

Luc.