Re: automatic anchors for definition commands.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: automatic anchors for definition commands.
Date: 08 Jan 2004 16:14:26 +0200

> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:01:59 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
>    And as Eli says, sometimes reading from the beginning of the node
>    is better.
>
> In those cases I _do_ refer to the top of the node.  I do not
> _automatically_ make anchor references because a function or variable
> name is mentioned.

The point is, the author of the manual does not always know what's
best; it depends on the reader.

> The entire section `(elisp)Related Topics' consists of references to
> definitions that are given in other chapters, but could quite as well
> have been given in the functions chapter.

I think such cases are relatively rare, even in the Emacs manuals,
where we use that to keep the sheer size of the manuals at bay.  It's
not clear to me whether we should draw too general conclusions from
these cases.  Again, this my opinion is not very strong.