Re: command and doco for valgrind

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: command and doco for valgrind
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:33:58 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:11:41 -0500
>
>       valgrind ./temacs
>
>     or
>
>       valgrind ./temacs -l loadup
>
>     They both crash with SIGSEGV in some way or another.  "./temacs"
>     without valgrind works as expected, of course.
>
> This could be a completely different problem.

Maybe, I don't know.  FWIW, this is the first time I see temacs crash
like that.

> So how about looking at this first?

I cannot figure out how; suggestions welcome.

The problem is that valgrind doesn't really run the machine
instructions from temacs on the real CPU.  Instead, it runs a modified
instrcution stream (modifications are its instrumentation of the code)
on a synthetic CPU provided by the valgrind core.  Given this, I can't
seem to find a way to run "valgrind ./temacs" under GDB, and without
that, how can I debug this?

> I can guess that the problem could be due to the fact that Emacs uses
> its own malloc.

Most probably, although on GNU/Linux we use the one from glibc, IIRC
(which is Doug Lea's variant).