Re: Buffer Boundary Problem

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Buffer Boundary Problem
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:13:17 -0500

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:14:27PM -0200, Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:
> But it has a problem, suppose you're visiting a file bigger than the window
> in Emacs.  So, the vertical scroll bar looks like:
> Now, type several C-n (next-line) until the window scrolls up.
> The vertical scroll bar now looks like:

By `it' I presume you mean the scrollbars have a problem, and that you're
using GTK scrollbars.

If so, the problem is that the GTK scrollbars are missing some functionality
that emacs needs to work optimally, so as a work-around emacs scrollbars are
little funny near the end of a buffer.  Basically there's some extra space
at the end so you can use the scrollbar to scroll the last line to the top
of the window.

[While I understand the reason for this problem, I wonder if it might be
useful to have a variable which controls that behavior -- by setting it to a
different value, you could make scrollbars display `correctly' but lose the
ability to scroll the last line to the window top... is this possible?]

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia