Re: feature request: tooltip-show-at-point

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: feature request: tooltip-show-at-point
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:36:02 +0900 (JST)

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:31:50PM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
> > This function works, however too slow to follow the point motion
> > in real time. How do you think to provide a built-in function which
> > show the tooltip at point?
>
> Would it be enough to be able to move an existing tooltip?  That shouldn't
> be too slow, and seems like a more general primitive.

Is it easy to calculate (x, y) for moving?

> x-show-tip is a built-in function.
> (x-show-tip STRING &optional FRAME PARMS TIMEOUT DX DY)

Here, the unit of DX and DY are pixel, not character.
Is there easy way to get the (x, y) for the point?
I have to calculate it from character widths and heights?

BTW, "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> worte:
    1) A function that takes a frame, window, and buffer position and
       returns an X/Y location on the screen that would allow
       accurate tooltip positioning.

    At this time, a means of positioning the mouse pointer over a
    particular character is used to then position the tool-tip.  That
    requires that the mouse move.  In addition, things like header lines,
    split windows, and toolbars seem to effect the accuracy of that
    mechanism.

How about for the point?

Masatake YAMATO