Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:37:33 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   I went to the Emacs manual, typed "i clone RET", and was presented
   with the node "Indirect Buffers" that describes that.

That is very misleading.  `M-x clone-indirect-buffer' produces an
indirect buffer which is very different from a cloned buffer produced
by `clone-buffer'.  (An indirect buffer always shares the text of its
base buffer and killing the base buffer kills the indirect buffer.  A
cloned buffer created by `clone-buffer', which is what M-n produces,
starts out with the same text, mode, local variables and so on, as the
original buffer, but after that it becomes a completely independent
buffer like any other buffer.)  So it is probably good that my revised
patch no longer talks about "cloned" buffers, since that term is
ambiguous.  There definitely should _not_ be a reference to that
section of the Emacs manual.

Sincerely,

Luc.