Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:34:07 +0000

[I don't know what this has to do with the subject.]

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Alexander Winston <address@hidden> writes:
>>>  Okay, back to UTF-8. With regard to CJK being disabled to default, I
>>>  believe that this decision is rather prejudicial to many Asian users.

I don't think so.  There's no reason why you shouldn't define a
language environment corresponding to ja_JP.UTF-8 which turned it on
(not that language environments is the right approach to locale
handling).

Anyway, there seems to be very little interest from users; I don't
recall any of the contributions I expected.  Mostly I've just had
unhelpful remarks from non-CJK users.

>> I've been told that the reason `utf-translate-cjk-mode' is disabled by
>> default is that it consumes some non-trivial amount of memory (and

Yes.  If I remember correctly, I posted measurements.

>> unless it's dumped I guess).

It doesn't make sense to dump it, the way it works.

> As we have post-read-conversion function for utf-8, it is
> possible to detect untranslated CJK characters and translate
> them.
>
> How abut this?
>
> Change utf-translate-cjk-mode to a customizable variable
> utf-translate-cjk which is nil, t, or auto (default).  The
> values nil and t mean the same thing as the current value of
> utf-translate-cjk-mode.  The value `auto' means setting up
> tables for translating CJK characters automatically if
> necessary.
>
> By adding pre-write-conversion function, we can make the
> above work also on writing.  But, in that case, it seems
> difficult to make find-coding-systems-region/string work
> consistently.  To check if a text is encodable by utf-8, we
> must load translation tables.

As far as I remember, that's why I didn't implement that sort of
thing.  post-read-conversion machinery is already there, I think.

[Is this code base ever going to be released so that most users
actually can use it?]