Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emphasize the character to be typed next in *Completions*
Date: 22 Mar 2004 12:37:34 +0100

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Masatake YAMATO wrote:
>
> >I also implemented a version which highlights the common perfix string
> >in completions. And I felt that the visual feedback is too strong.
> >
> Ok, I haven't actually tried it out, but you have.
>
> >Should I provide all versions and make them choose-able?
> >
> That may solve the problem.

Increasing the number of dissatisfactory choices is not really a
substitute for a good solution.  Only when it becomes obvious that a
good solution is impossible and the available choices are comparably
dissatisfactory, can one justify shifting the responsibility to the
taste of the user.

But I'd not call that solving a problem.  It is just giving in to the
inevitable at one point.