Re: autorevert.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: autorevert.el
Date: 24 Mar 2004 13:03:16 -0500

>> So even with your suggested version of stat, looking at the directory
>> size would seem to be clearly inferior to the prior suggestion of
>> listening to the messages delivered when a directory changes.

Hmmm... we should compare it to the current code, not to some hypothetical
other implementation that nobody has shown the willingness or ability
to write.

Of course, when/if the other code is written, we can use it in place of the
"compare timestamp and size" since it will presumably be an overall
better solution.

> (In general, I'm opposed to planting into Emacs user-level features
> implicit assumptions about Posix-specific behavior, in this case, that
> a directory is just another file.  Yes, I know: Emacs is being
> developed primarily for Posix-compliant platforms, bla, bla...)

I must say I don't understand what you're talking about here.
The "listen to messages" thingy is very much non-posix.

        Stefan