Re: dired-do-touch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dired-do-touch
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:06:43 +0200

> I don't understand why you insist on using an external program if
> Emacs could easily have a primitive to do the same.  I think using an
> Emacs primitive is faster, in addition to being more portable.

I don't see a reason why changing file time should differ from
operations changing other file attributes like mode, owner and group.

I don't insist on using external programs.  If Emacs primitives are
faster, then other dired commands for changing other file attributes
should be modified to use Emacs primitives too.

> The patch to add set-file-times is already reviewed by at least 2
> Emacs maintainers, and is IMHO ready for being checked in.

It don't allow to change file times to values other than current time.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/