Re: Request: new emacs release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Request: new emacs release
Date: 30 Mar 2004 18:52:49 -0500

I'll just say that in case someone still wonders, I'm 100% in agreement
with Adrian that we should get a new releaqse from the CVS trunk ASAP.
This means code freeze Real-Soon-Now.

> a hit-or-miss affair -- bugs I've observed in recent attempts include
> font-lock "regexp" colorizing not being performed, startup failure due to
> lisp load errors, difficulties getting third-party packages to run smoothly,
> and frequent (1+ per day) crashes.

I use Emacs on Mac OS X almost everyday (though in X11 mode) and don't see
any such things.  Also I haven't seen any bug reports about it.
Without bug reports, there's not much we can do.  Please help us
by becoming a good friend of M-x report-emacs-bug.

> For 4 years now, users wishing to use emacs 21 have had to live with the
> unsuppressable super-wide double-fringe that came with that version.

Maybe you get unlicky because of your font-size, but AFAIK, this
"super-wide" is "one char wide", so the difference with Emacs-20.7 is only
one extra column (there used to be one (right) fringe, now there are two).

> Many times this makes the difference between showing two windows
> size-by-side in a reasonably-sized font and not, and it takes real estate

Going down from 80 to 79 columns should get you back the Emacs-20
frame size.  Admittedly, you'll lose a column.

> from other windows in all cases.  Many others have complained about this.

Oh, yes.  We've heard more than our share.

> "21.3.50" makes it configurable.  (This was promised for 21.3 and didn't
> make it in.)

It was probably promised by someone who thought that 21.3 was going to be
taken from the CVS trunk.

> 3) Time passage
> It has been 1 year since 21.3.

You don't seem to realize that 21.3 is a very minor change from 21.1 and
that during 21.1 and 21.3 there's been many more changes than that.
It's just that they were kept on the CVS trunk and not included in the
release.  So feel free to bump your "1 year of work" to "4 years of work".

        Stefan