Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: compilation-forget-errors still used by tex-mode.el
Date: 01 Apr 2004 15:13:58 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:

> Saluton,
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> skribis:

> > > And add compilation-current-error to overlay-arrow-variable-list :-)
> >
> > Now there's an idea.
>
> overlay-arrow-variable-list seems to be a very embryonic feature.  While you
> can put more than one variable into it, only the first occurence in the buffer
> actually gets a little arrow in the fringe.

In a compile buffer, I would think that one current error marker is enough.
Why do you need more than that?!

>                                              And even though there is a string
> use instead on non-window frames, the feature is not even present on a
> text-terminal.

It is supposed to work, so if not, that's a bug.

>                 And it only works at BOL, whereas error-messages are now
> recognized anywhere on a line, even one behind another.

Yes, ok, but you can still use it to point out the line as such.

> So I'll have to use my own overlay.  I'm wondering if flashing this for half a
> second, like the jumped to position, is useful.  While that is more of a toy,
> since the cursor lands there anyways, highlighting the message seems to be an
> essential feature for some people.  If you get distracted after Cx- ` you can
> easily miss this within half a second — especially if it takes a second to
> fetch a remote file first.

If you decide to use your own overlay, I suggest that you keep the highlight
on the error message.  I don't see a need to just highlight it briefly.

In any case, the highlight will disappear when you have reached past
the last error.

> Maybe I should combine half a second with a pre command hook?  Or leave it
> until another message gets located?

Leave it.