Re: Strange problem with latest CVS

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: Strange problem with latest CVS
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:49:47 +0900 (JST)

Sorry to be late.

>  > > When I hit a message that ends with an attachment thereafter
>  > > every message that I see has all text with the gui-button face.
>  > > (This is the VM Presentation buffer)
>
>  > > I think this is caused because the end of the buffer has this
>  > > face, and VM reuses the buffer, clears it and fills it with the
>  > > new message. Apparently the face is sticking with the empty
>  > > buffer and is then inherited by the new text. Maybe this change
>  > > is causing it:

Yes.

This is something to do with my change:

2004-03-26  Masatake YAMATO  <address@hidden>

        * buffer.c (fix_start_end_in_overlays): Rename fix_overlays_in_range.

        * lisp.h (fix_start_end_in_overlays): Likewise.

        * insdel.c (adjust_markers_for_insert): Call fix_start_end_in_overlays.

        * editfns.c (Ftranspose_regions): Likewise.

See also http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-03/msg00476.html

>  > I think emacs-w3m hits the same problem. Overlays from 1 to 1 in
>  > otherwise empty buffers span 1 to (point-max) after insertion of
>  > text; previously (before the change you mention, I think) such
>  > overlays still spanned 1 to 1 after insertion of text.
>
> I think the same problem can be seen in Gnus (v5.10.6). If I do
> gnus-summary-toggle-header, then an overlay including mouse-face
> highlight spans all the headers.

How do you think make evaporate overlay's property t by default(when
make-overlay)?

    `evaporate'
         If this property is non-`nil', the overlay is deleted automatically
         if it becomes empty (i.e., if its length becomes zero).  However,
         if the overlay is _already_ empty, `evaporate' does not delete it.