RE: typo in frame.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: typo in frame.el
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:05:13 -0700

Doc strings, at least their first lines, need to be short and clear, so
"iff" is in fact helpful - but only if the convention is understood.

Instead of not taking advantage of the convention, why don't we include an
explanation of it in the general doc: add a line stating what "iff" means to
the Emacs (or Elisp) doc?

At the very worst, someone unacquainted with the meaning of "iff" will
likely interpret it as "if" (and as an benign typo), so there is no harm
done in using it: (the most important) half of its meaning is always
conveyed.

Another possibility is to use "<=>" (and "=>" for "implies"), but I suppose
that assumes some familiarity with symbolic logic or math.

 - Drew