Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs
Date: 12 Apr 2004 00:41:50 -0400

>> I notice several cases where things fail on an emacs compiled without X
>> support, because they call `easy-menu-add', and it calls `x-popup-menu'
>> which isn't defined when X support is disabled.  I don't recall such
>> failures the last time I tried to make a no-X emacs, so maybe something
>> has changed recently.

>     I've just removed the unnecessary call to x-popup-menu yesterday, as
>     a matter of fact, so things should work again.

> The call to x-popup-menu was intended to precompute info cached in the
> menu, so that the menu would display more quickly.

> Why do you think it was unnecessary?

I haven't been able to measure any actual speed difference on any machine
I have access to.  Maybe some years ago it made a difference, but it's lost
in the noise now.

        Stefan

PS: I also remember of a case where the precomputation was wrong because it
did not know that the menu was always going to be used when some other minor
mode was ON, and all the keybindings for the menu were provided by the minor
mode's map.  I can't remember the details, but my conclusion at that time
was that this specific optimization was not worth the trouble any more.