Re: RCS keyword removal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: RCS keyword removal
Date: 13 Apr 2004 18:10:18 +0900

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't quite see the point here.  Why don't you just check out your
> work area anew, and all your keywords will be unexpanded?  All of this
> assumes that we are only talking about disabling the keywords locally
> (i.e. using "cvs update -kb file", rather than "cvs admin -kb file").

Ok, I tried this ... and it didn't work.  I did:

   CVSROOT=... cvs co -kb -d test-emacs emacs

and files containing RCS keywords within `test-emacs' still had expanded
keyword values -- though the expansions were different than the `normal'
expanded values (they were slightly out of date, and seemed to contain
info for the revision just prior to the last one).

I'm still confused as to what exactly CVS is doing with this stuff, but
one model that might be consistent with the behavior I observe is that
CVS (1) expands keywords only on checkout/update, and (2) stores the
expanded keywords in the repository when you commit (i.e., commit
doesn't modify what's committed), (3) commit _does_ update the working
copy of the file after the commit (i.e., there's always an implicit
update after commit).

If I'm correct about what's going on, then it seems:

 (1) If I use `cvs update -kb', the arch tree will still contain the
     expanded keywords, but the values will be slightly bogus.

 (2) The only way I can get consistent values between my different CVS
     branches is to actually check in the values I want into the other
     (CVS) branches (which might annoy CVS users, as the info then will
     be completely wrong -- e.g., the revision number in $Revision$ will
     be for a completely different branch).

 (3) Subsequent checkins by other CVS users (who aren't presumably using
     update -kb) will still change the keyword expansions I see.  This
     won't be as bad as the current situation though, as at least my own
     commits won't cause changes in my working copy.

I.e. what a mess...

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"