Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:15:21 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:50:57PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>  We could urge all the pretesters to try out the unicode branch now.
>>  That way we would get a picture of how far it is from readiness.

> I was under the impression that the unicode-2 branch was fairly old (I looked
> at a few files, and it seems to have last been updated from the trunk around
> last summer), which might make such testing a bit questionable.

> I think a merge one direction or another should take place.

I've just synchronized emacs-unicode-2 branch to the trunk,
i.e, I've done something like this:

% cd .../emacs-trunk
% cvs tag handa-temp-tag
% cd .../emacs-unicode-2
% cvs update -j emcas-unicode-2-base -j handa-temp-tag
% cvs commit -m 'Sync to HEAD'
% cd .../emacs-trunk
% cvs tag -F -r handa-temp-tag emacs-unicode-2

> Since unicode-2 was branched before I added taglines, it would take a bit of
> preparation, but once done it would be simple for me to keep the unicode
> branch synchronized between CVS and arch as I do with the trunk, and the
> unicode hackers could continue to use CVS for daily hacking if they wished,
> with arch used to keep the unicode branch updated with respect to the CVS
> trunk (this latter is probably best done by a unicode hacker, as they would
> know how to best resolve merge conflicts).

So, now all files in emacs-unicode-2 branch have arch tags.
But, I've never used arch.  Could you tell me the exact
procedure to use arch for synchronizing?  Is it surely
easier than the above procedure for CVS?

By the way, the last step above aborted as below.

[...]
T src/s/vms4-4.h
T src/s/vms5-5.h
T src/s/windows95.h
T src/s/xenix.h
cvs server: Tagging vms
T vms/README
T vms/make-mms-derivative.el
cvs [server aborted]: "tag" requires write access to the repository

Could someone tell me what it means?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden