Re: isearch-yank-char

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-char
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:04:32 +0300

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> I think we should rather strive to invest the time for these
> considerations where they affect all users: all the people that are
> discussing here are perfectly capable of configuring their Emacs to
> behave like it did previously, with less effort than it takes them
> leading those discussions.  They are still doing those discussions
> because they care for more than just their personal preference.

It still would be good if Emacs developers provided the compatibility
code after every backward-incompatible change for maintainers of
external Emacs packages.  For example, the change in the interface
of the function `split-string' causes Emacs packages I'm maintaining
to fail.  I'm not against changes if they are for the better, but
I think that authors of these changes could write some kind of
function wrappers that will work the same for all Emacs versions
instead of forcing maintainers of external Emacs packages to invent
their own workarounds.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/