Re: More info on sporadic OS/X crash

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: More info on sporadic OS/X crash
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:14:59 +0200

>> From: Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
>> Date: 27 Apr 2004 17:24:36 +0200
>>
>> However now I have occasional hangs in select(), always when using gnus.
>> It could be a server that is not responding, but I am not sure. I attach a
>> stack trace below. The hang doesn't get broken with C-g (the well-known
>> problem), but sometimes it helps to Ctrl-Z gdb (I am running emacs from
>> gdb), and/or hitting Ctrl-C in the gdb terminal window. Continuing then
>> resumes normal life but it can take quite some time.
>>
>> Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
>> 0x9000b308 in select ()
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x9000b308 in select ()
>> #1  0x0012eeac in sys_select (n=126, rfds=0x38e7e4, wfds=0x0, efds=0x0,
>> timeout=0xbfffcb60) at mac.c:2787
>> #2  0x00119948 in wait_reading_process_input (time_limit=1, microsecs=0,
>> read_kbd=3506604, do_display=0) at process.c:4311

EZ> What is the contents of the struct pointed to by `timeout' in frame #1
EZ> above?  Can you tell what GDB prints if you type

EZ>     print *timeout

EZ> in that frame?

EZ> If the contents of that struct are reasonable (i.e. 1 second), is it
EZ> possible that Emacs loops infinitely in sys_select, and if so, why?

(gdb) frame 1
#1  0x0012eeac in sys_select (n=126, rfds=0x38e7e4, wfds=0x0, efds=0x0,
timeout=0xbfffc770) at mac.c:2787
2787        return select(n, rfds, wfds, efds, timeout);
(gdb) print *timeout
$3 = {
  tv_sec = 0,
  tv_usec = 999996
}

So this looks normal.
Next time it hangs I will step through the code to see what happens.
I can't get it to hang again now.
--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden