Re: Insert character pairs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Insert character pairs
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:59:57 +0300

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> To fix it, it seems reasonable to check for character syntax of
>> arguments before inserting a space, i.e. insert a space
>> when character syntax of adjacent characters is the same,
>> (plus ?w and ?_, i.e. inside words as it was before):
>>
>> -       (memq (char-syntax (preceding-char)) '(?w ?_ ?\) ))
>> +       (memq (char-syntax (preceding-char)) (list ?w ?_ (char-syntax
>> close)))
>
> What's wrong with leaving it as it is?

I wanted to follow the same logic of inserting a space for
other possible character pairs: ", ', `, <>, [], {}.

For example, inserting a quote character next to an existing quote
character could insert a space between them.

Anyway, the docstring of `insert-parentheses' says:

"If `parens-require-spaces' is non-nil, this command also inserts a space
before and after, depending on the surrounding characters."

What does "depending on the surrounding characters" mean, when applied
to other characters, can be interpreted differently.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/