Re: Re: address@hidden: setting utf-16 as file-name-coding-system locks

From: Mattis
Subject: Re: Re: address@hidden: setting utf-16 as file-name-coding-system locks up emacs]
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:22:03 +0200

> The problem is that (file-exists-p "/") needs to turn the stream
> of *characters* "/" into a stream of *bytes* (which is what
> the encoding is for) and if you specify the wrong encoding
> you might get the wrong bytes, so the OS will of course
> not find the corresponding file.

Ah, yes, I understand now.

> > Anyway, the conclusion of all this seems to be that Emacs is not 100 %
> > ready for unicode yet so I have to avoid to try torture it with these in
> > the meantime... :)
>
> While the unicode support is not finished (and probably never will be given
> the amount of detail you can get into if you care to), it has nothing to do
> with the problem at hand.  The only valid conclusion here is that your file
> names are not encoded in utf-16 and thus you get what you deserve if you
> wrongly tell Emacs to use utf-16 encoding for filenames.

OK. So, the best would be to have the encoding set to "undecided" and then let
Emacs figure out which encoding is used, right? And hopefully it will be able to
do this correctly in later versions. (I'm talking about the unicode
file names on Windows-problem now, not the "freeze")

Thanks for all the help.

/Mathias