Re: speedbar.el makes bootstrapping fail.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: speedbar.el makes bootstrapping fail.
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:14:06 -0500 (CDT)

I have committed my patch now.

>From my previous message:

   I am hesitant to put a `with-no-warnings' around the defcustom,
   because the elisp manual says that def{var,const,custom} should be at
   top level.

I realize now that this was stupid.  I do not know why I was thinking
that I had to put the `with-no-warnings' around the entire defcustom.
I only have to put it around one single setq.

The following patch is an alternative to the one I installed.  It is
made vs the now committed version.  I could install it if desired.  I
will wait for reactions however.  Bootstrapping works now and the
issue is purely stylistic.  If Richard was trying to do more than just
avoid a compiler warning, then a more fundamental change is needed.

===File ~/speedbar.el-diff==================================
*** speedbar.el 22 Aug 2004 14:58:16 -0500      1.58
--- speedbar.el 22 Aug 2004 16:31:54 -0500
***************
*** 665,673 ****
    "*Regexp matching files we don't want displayed in a speedbar buffer.
  It is generated from the variable `completion-ignored-extensions'")

- ;; Ugly compiler silencing trick.  The real defvar comes later in this file.
- (defvar speedbar-file-regexp)
-
  ;; this is dangerous to customize, because the defaults will probably
  ;; change in the future.
  (defcustom speedbar-supported-extension-expressions
--- 665,670 ----
***************
*** 691,698 ****
    :version "21.1"
    :type '(repeat (regexp :tag "Extension Regexp"))
    :set (lambda (sym val)
!        (setq speedbar-supported-extension-expressions val
!              speedbar-file-regexp (speedbar-extension-list-to-regex val))))

  (defvar speedbar-file-regexp
    (speedbar-extension-list-to-regex speedbar-supported-extension-expressions)
--- 688,696 ----
    :version "21.1"
    :type '(repeat (regexp :tag "Extension Regexp"))
    :set (lambda (sym val)
!        (setq speedbar-supported-extension-expressions val)
!        (with-no-warnings
!         (setq speedbar-file-regexp (speedbar-extension-list-to-regex val)))))