Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:42:49 +0200

Hi Lennart,

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:
> Surprise again. Do you mean that Mac and Linux (to leave out more
> technical alternatives) do not have something like Windows Explorer
> where you can double-click (or something similar) on a HTML file to
> open it?

Usually they have some browser installed, so if (and only if)
"usually" is enough for you, that would not be a problem.

> Or is not this feature integrated and available to other programs
> through some kind of API?

On Mac there is a standard API for doing that.

But AFAIK on Linux/Unix the way to do it depends on the type of
desktop and file manager (KDE, Gnome, etc) that you have installed.

In all cases, the browser has to integrate with the framework used.

Also I thought you were talking about printing, not just viewing as
HTML.  That requires that the HTML browser is correctly setup for
printing.

Finally while most desktop systems probably implement automatic
printing in their framework, experience shows that applications often
don't implement that feature or don't implement it correctly.  So I
expect that in a lot of cases the user still has to select the print
menu himself in the browser.

benny