Re: Info enhancements

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:42:29 +0200

On Wed, Dec 03 2003, Juri Linkov wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Mon, Dec 01 2003, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> - rebind `M-s' key to a new function `Info-search-next' that searches
>>>   for another occurrence of regular expression from a previous
>>>   `Info-search' command (key `s').  Pressing only one key to repeat
>>>   a search is more convenient than pressing two keys (`s RET').
>>
>> ACK.  I would even suggest to use an easily accessible single-key [1],
>> because `Info-search-next' is used often and repeatedly.  Like `,' for
>> `Info-index-next'.
>>
>> [1] I'm using (define-key Info-mode-map "/" "s") for this which made
>> using info much more convenient for me.
>
> On German and Scandinavian keyboards "/" is placed above the "7" key,
> so still two key presses are needed to use it (shift and "7").
> But M-s is not a bad choice because <META> key can be held down while
> repeating pressing "s" for the next search.  Anyhow, "/" might be
> bound to `Info-search-next' as well.
>
> BTW, you didn't use the function `Info-search-next' in your key
> binding.  But seems this function could be useful to add it
> to the menu and describe it in the `Info-mode' docstring.

I used Emacs 21.3 at that time where `Info-search-next' wasn't
available, IIRC.

Now I use the CVS version, but apparently there still is no key
binding for `Info-search-next' (it in the menu, though).  Was there
any objection against binding `Info-search-next' to `M-s' (or `/')?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)