Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:44:35 -0500 (CDT)

   What did we finally end up doing about the ! command in Dired
   and its handling of ? and *?

If I remember well we decided to solve this as follows, proposed by
David Kastrup:

   Bind * to insert a text-propertied (and thus recognizable and
   copy&pastable) x character with the display property of "<filename>".
   If people really need * itself, they can insert it using C-q *.

But then Juri pointed out that several other problems needed to be
solved before this could be implemented.  I believe you then decided
that these other problems should be solved.  I do not know whether any
of this actually ever got implemented.

There are alternative solutions that only require trivial changes to
something like two lines of code.

Sincerely,

Luc.