Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:25:13 -0400

> Sorry, I probably misread you. It's good to start the discussion early
> in order to come to agreements on every single detail, before doing
> anything.

I guess my point was exactly the opposite:
Not only trying to agree on every detail before doing "anything" can
artifically delay the beginning of "anything", but it's simply impossible
because you never know all the possible details beforehand and because
people might originally agree on X but later on discover that it's actually
not acceptable to them in practice, contrary to what they thought.

So in practice, whether you plan it that way or not, you end up fixing
details on the fly.  So I think it's better to accept this fact as a given
and work with it rather than against it.

What that boils down to, is that someone's commitment will depend on how
much implicit or explicit positive feedback he experiences *in practice*
(not just in preliminary discussions).  So go step by step and "ajuste le
tir" as you move (hpefully) forward.

Theory is just no match to practice,

        Stefan