Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:28:58 -0400

    One way to do that might be for Emacs CVS to have a "branch" (or
    whatever) that only allowed *really* uncontroversial bugfixes, and
    hence was supposed to be nearly ready for release all the time.  In
    that scenario, Jerome and I could commit our patches there and then
    make relatively more frequent releases.  Since the changes are
    required to be "minor", if one of these releases breaks something, we
    should be able to just back out the change and release a new version
    immediately.

This is more or less the way we handled 21.2 and 21.3.
I think it is an uncontroversial proposal.
I gladly accept your offer to do this.

      Whether these releases would be called X.Y.Z, or
    W.X.Y.Z, X.Y.bugfix.N, or something else doesn't really matter (though
    see my next post about major number choices).

I think the question of version numbering is the ony one we are in
doubt about.  We would like you to do this maintenance.