Re: info faces for strings and quotations

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: info faces for strings and quotations
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:44:28 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
> Info files are essentially plain text with some minimal markup that is
> intended for navigation, not highlighting.  So I believe that there is
> no way that one can do what you are trying to do completely reliably
> any more than that it is possible to implement
> Info-hide-note-references completely reliably.  To do that, one would
> need to base the Emacs Info reader on the XML output format instead of
> on the Info output format.

Indeed.  You need more information in the markup to do this in a
reliable way.  (A side effect of this would be that you can also use
font-lock for code examples.)

> (Maybe somebody might actually do that some day.)

There was another longish thread on this issue here about a year ago,
in which I participated extensively.  Well, this is about rendering
XML ...

I regard it as part of the word processing framework. The
half-finished XML parser with which I am working (an implementation of
SSAX in Elisp) is written with rendering info XML in mind in that it
allows for partial on-demand parsing (which is necessary for files as
large as the Emacs manual).

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               15 Vendémiaire an 213 de la Révolution
Ostendstr. 61               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!