Re: address@hidden: tex-mode: too many _ (underscores) interpreted as su

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: tex-mode: too many _ (underscores) interpreted as subscripts]
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:49:29 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Richard Stallman (2004-10-08) writes:
>
>>     There is an infinite number of constructs which are not supposed to be
>>     used in math, e.g. itemize environments or sectioning macros.  But I
>>     haven't found a way to generalize those constructs.  And checking for
>>     an arbitrary pick of such commands doesn't seem to be the best
>>     solution.
>>
>> Since these are used only to save time, it is not a problem
>> if the list is incomplete.  Let's add some additional common ones,
>> and then the function texmathp will usually run faster.
>
> I'll see what I can do.  Thank you for your help.

texmathp.el is in AUCTeX, and we have in there

;; texmathp.el -- Code to check if point is inside LaTeX math environment
;; Copyright (c) 1998 Carsten Dominik
;; Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
;; texmathp.el,v 1.28 1998/11/23 15:19:44 dominik Exp

Ok, here is the crazy thing.

In 2003, Carsten Dominik assigned "all right and title" in texmathp.el
to the FSF (for program Emacs), after having previously assigned all
past and future changes to it (also for program Emacs).  But
texmathp.el is not even part of Emacs, whether released or in CVS.  As
far as I can see, it is only distributed with AUCTeX at the moment.
Does that mean that we can change the copyright notice in AUCTeX to be
FSF only without Carsten having to sign for AUCTeX specifically?

Should tex-mode.el be made to rely on texmathp.el if that improves
things?  AUCTeX is slated for inclusion into Emacs a few years from
now, anyway.