Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:33:34 +0200

2004-10-09 kl. 19.14 skrev Stefan:

The problem is that there isn't a good way to determine if it should be an open or a save dialog, and unlike on W32 or X, you need to pick "ChooseFile"
or "PutFile".  The comment I have in the code is;

It seems the Gtk support has the same problem.
Hopefully the two can share the code that implements their solution,
whatever that one is.

Basically Emacs will have to change so that commands from the menu bar and
tool bar call a new function that knows if this is a save or load.
We then remove the use of a dialog entirely from read-file-name.

This is the plan discussed last time this came up, I don't think it is
something we should do for this release:

Replace "Open File" with "Open old file" and "New buffer".
Make them and "Save", "Save As" and "Open directory" call another function than read-file-name that opens a dialog in the correct GTK mode (i.e. ACTION_SAVE, ACTION_OPEN or ACTION_SELECT_FOLDER). Do not open a dialog
for read-file-name.

Loss of functionality is that "Open old file" can not open a directory and "Open directory" can not open a file. Also, the "New buffer" just creates a buffer without a file, the file is specified later when saved. This may
confuse old Emacs users a bit.

        Jan D.