Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file dialog in Carbon Emacs is broken
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:15:22 -0400

    Basically Emacs will have to change so that commands from the menu bar
    and
    tool bar call a new function that knows if this is a save or load.
    We then remove the use of a dialog entirely from read-file-name.

We could define two new functions, read-input-file-name
and read-output-file-name.  Would this do the job?

    Replace "Open File" with "Open old file" and "New buffer".

It is not a good idea to encourage users to create a buffer to edit a
new file without specifying the file name.  So instead let's have
"Open File" and "New File"; "New File" should use the Save dialog to
choose the file name.

See any problem with that?