Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:09:33 +0200

On Sun Oct 10 2004 Stefan wrote:

> >> Try this:
> >>
> >> M-: (standard-display-default 128 255) RET
>
> > The above is from five years ago. It worked fine up to emacs 21.2.1
> > (as far as I can go back). Now I am using emacs 21.3.1 or CVS emacs.
> > and it doesn't work for me anymore.
>
> My crystal ball tells me you're using `standard-european-display' and you
> think that's enough to be in unibyte mode.  Not so any more.
> If you want unibyte mode, you need to ask for it explicitly.

I am not sure I understand correctly what you say. No matter whether
I use "emacs --no-init-file" or "emacs --unibyte --no-init-file"
I will not see the octal sequences. Where does the
standard-european-display come from? (Normally, I always use --unibyte.)

In any case, it seems to me that emacs 21.2.1 and emacs 21.3.1
behave differently here. (There might be good reasons for this. I am
merely asking myself how I can get the behavior I got with emacs
21.2.1.)

Roland