Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:30:26 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote

    Currently we run temacs like this
    % setarch i386 ./temacs ...

What about running temacs this way whenever setarch exists?
If the makefile checks for the existence of setarch just before
it runs temacs, or tries first to run it using setarch and then
tries without setarch as a fallback, that would also do the job.
After all, running temacs has to be done on the actual target
platform, and then setarch ought to be available if it is needed.

Yes, it would work to first run with setarch and then normally as a fallback.

Another idea: can `main' contain code to move its heap address to the
desired place, at startup?

No, as the desired place is not a mapped memory region, you can not write there. But we could do as described by Camm Maguire, check if the heap is not at the correct place at temacs startup, and if it is not, call personality(LINUX32) and exec() temacs again.

I think this is the best, because then temacs can output some message that directs the user to etc/PROBLEMS if the heap address is still off at the second run.

        Jan D.