Mac OS 9 support

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Mac OS 9 support
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:28:55 +0900

I'm not sure how many people are interested in Mac OS 9 support, but
now it works again.  Although the source codes for Mac OS 9 have been
bundled with the standard distribution, it could not be compiled as of
Emacs 21.3.

Changes (from 21.2):
  - Works with >256MB memory systems.
  - Most of display features such as images, toolbars, and tooltips
    are available.

Problems:
  - No support for Metrowerks CodeWarrior Pro 6.  Only tested with
    MPW-GM, which is available free of charge.
  - I'm not sure how old versions of Mac OS 8/9 are compatible with.
    I tested it with Mac OS 9.2.2/QuickTime 6.0.3/CarbonLib 1.6.1
    running on the Classic environment in Mac OS X 10.3.5.
  - USE_LSB_TAG is defined so that it can work with >256MB memory
    system.  It seems to work with DECL_ALIGN as the identity macro,
    but not 100% sure.
  - "#define GC_MARK_STACK GC_MAKE_GCPROS_NOOPS" also seems to work,
    but not defined in the attached patch.
  - It's almost impossible to select an item from a pop-up menu
    invoked from a toolbar button, because the mouse button is already
    released when the menu appears.

Install:

  The first half of the steps requires Mac OS X and its Developer Tools.

  1. Get the Emacs source as usual.

    OSX% mkdir somedir
    OSX% cd somedir
    OSX% env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

  2. Apply the attached patch.

    OSX% cd emacs
    OSX% zcat someplace/diff-classic.gz | patch -p0

  3. Setup resource forks.

    OSX% /Developer/Tools/SetFile -t TEXT mac/inc/* mac/inc/*/* mac/src/*
lib-src/* src/*

  4. Generate .elc files.

    OSX% mkdir ../emacs-carbon
    OSX% cd ../emacs-carbon
    OSX% ../emacs/configure --without-x
    OSX% make bootstrap

  You can do the remaining steps on "real" Mac OS 9, which is much
  faster than the Classic environment in Mac OS X.

  5. Download MPW-GM from Apple.

    http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Core_Mac_OS_Tools/MPW_etc./MPW-GM_Images/MPW-GM.img.bin

  6. Extract and install it into an appropriate place.
     (e.g. "/Applications (Mac OS 9)").

  7. Invode MPW Shell.

    OSX% open "/Applications (Mac OS 9)/MPW-GM/MPW/MPW Shell"

  8. Do the following inside MPW Shell.  Note that no prompt such as
     "MPW>" is displayed in reality, and you must hit "enter" instead of
     "return" to execute each command.

    MPW> Directory "Macintosh HD:Users:yourname:somedir:emacs:mac"
    MPW> make Emacs -f makefile.MPW > Emacs.MakeScript
    MPW> Emacs.MakeScript

  9. Wait for some time until the left upper corner's message becomes
     "MPW Shell".  It will take much time to execute "make-docfile"
     under the Classic environment even on Power Mac G5.

  10. Invoke "Emacs MPW" (white bear icon) in emacs/mac directory.

  11. Have fun!!

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden