Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:14:33 -0400

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:53:01AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     The problem is that setting the Emacs language-environment (with
>     `set-language-environment') _overrides_ the initial settings made based on
>     LANG.  That's wrong in this case, I think.
>
> So you're suggesting that set-language-environment simply not change
> these settings?  That might be ok; however, in other cases
> we might want different behavior.

I think the values for these settings that set-language-environment uses
might provide useful _defaults_ (if there is no more specific setting in
force).

Currently set-language-environment sets `default-file-name-coding-system',
which is overridden by `file-name-coding-system'.  Startup also apparently
sets `default-file-name-coding-system' using LANG.  If startup set
`file-name-coding-system' from LANG instead, then I think that would provide
the proper semantics in this case.

> What precisely are these settings?

I'm thinking about file-name-coding-system (and
default-file-name-coding-system); I don't know where the process I/O coding
system is stored.

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Ghandi