RE: when to bind *down-mouse* vs *mouse*?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: when to bind *down-mouse* vs *mouse*?
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:26:15 -0800

    *Note Rebinding Mouse Buttons: (emacs)Mouse Buttons, for an
    explanation of
    how the mouse events work.  Which event should be bound
    basically depends
    on when the action is supposed to happen.

    If you press a mouse button you get a down event.  If you release the
    button you get a click event (no modifier).  If you move the mouse while
    pressing a button you get a drag event.  Double and triple click events
    are generated when you release and press a button (twice for
    triple click)
    in less than double-click-time without moving the mouse.  Note that all
    those events are actually generated, but some are discarded if unbound.

Thanks, but that doesn't respond to my question, unfortunately. As I
mentioned, I already read the doc in the Emacs and Elisp manuals. I'm not
asking how mouse events work. I'm asking about recommended practice.

 - Drew