install for x11 on mac os x

From: Dimitri Hendriks
Subject: install for x11 on mac os x
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:44:41 +0100

I'm trying to install emacs in mac os x, but I run into problems.
Can you help me out?

Here's what I did:

cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs
./configure --with-x --without-carbon
make bootstrap

This all seems to work fine.
Unfortunately, it only gives me a terminal-mode emacs, which is not I want! I want it to be running under the X11, an X window server and the full GUI
as UNIX users are used to.
The behaviour I have is as if I had not set the $DISPLAY variable, but I did!
Moreover, other X programs do behave as expected.

What's wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitri Hendriks

ps. I also tried the so-called carbon version
(with ./configure --with-carbin --without-x),
but when I try to open emacs/mac/Emacs.app I get the message:
"You cannot open the application "Emacs" because it may be damaged or incomplete".