Re: Items in FOR-RELEASE

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Items in FOR-RELEASE
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:45:43 -0500

>> Besides, what makes you think that face remapping is a better solution to
>> mode-specific faces?  I like face-remapping but it's not a panacea.

> Isn't something like below possible with face remapping?

> (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (set (make-local-variable 'face-remappings)
>                  '((font-lock-comment-face . bold)))))

Beside the fact that you can't use Custom to set this up, the problem with
it is that it requires a preexistnig face with the required properties
(such as the `bold' face in your example).  If you want comments to appear
in "uglygreen" and that no other face uses "uglygreen" (or the other faces
the use "uglygreen" also use some other attribute that you don't want for
comments), you have to create your own with defface, ...

Hardly a a panacea,

Now, maybe we can provide a layer of code on top of it which will
transparently create faces when needed, etc... maybe as part of Custom, but
I don't see this happening any time soon.

In any case I'm not opposed at all to face-remapping (I've been asking for
something like it for a long time, actually), but I just think it should
either be installed right now or postponed to after the release.
I.e. it shouldn't be in FOR-RELEASE.

This release is coming *real* slow and if we keep going at this rate we'll
never get there.  Let's not forget that Emacs-CVS has not just some neat new
features, but it also has important changes that make it more usable on
newer/current systems (Mac OS X, utf-8, modifiers with new Xservers, PCL-CVS
support for CVS-1.12, ...).
It's more important that we release it soon than it is to include each and
every new feature.

        Stefan