Re: why does occur depropertize matching lines?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: why does occur depropertize matching lines?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:59:35 -0500

>> What we really want is to copy the face info from the source but "dim" it
>> a bit so it doesn't overshadow occur's own highlighting.

> There is one problem with dimmed faces: they might be not readable,
> especially for visually impaired users.

I don't mean a face that makes the text "dim" (i.e. potentially unreadable).

A face mostly defines changes w.r.t the default, so by "to dim a face"
I meant to tone down those changes.  E.g. if the face was bold, use
half-bold instead; if it was bright red (with a default of black),
use a darker red; if the face was double height, use 1.5 height; ...

Of course, any change in color might lead to less readable text, so such
a feature would be tricky to make robust.  In any case we don't have any
such feature right now.  I was just mentioning it in terms of "what would be
the ideal behavior IMO", to have something to compare to.

        Stefan