Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual

From: Ben Wing
Subject: Permission to use portions of the recent GNU Emacs Manual
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:28:57 -0600

Richard --

The GNU Emacs user's manual has changed its license to the GFDL.  The XEmacs
manual has a different license -- the GPL.  Because of contributions from
various parties, we cannot easily change our license, and apparently there
are incompatibilities between the GFDL and the GPL.

Therefore I am wondering if you will give us permission to incorporate parts
of the GNU Emacs manual under the existing XEmacs license, which reads

Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of
this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice
are preserved on all copies.

@ignore
Permission is granted to process this file through Tex and print the
results, provided the printed document carries copying permission
notice identical to this one except for the removal of this paragraph
(this paragraph not being relevant to the printed manual).

@end ignore
Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided also that the
sections entitled ``The GNU Manifesto'', ``Distribution'' and ``GNU
General Public License'' are included exactly as in the original, and
provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the
terms of a permission notice identical to this one.

Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual
into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions,
except that the sections entitled ``The GNU Manifesto'',
``Distribution'' and ``GNU General Public License'' may be included in a
translation approved by the author instead of in the original English.