Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:15:04 -0500

    >          , but you'll also lose flexibility since it won't be possible to
    >     specify a default for a subset of the face spec.

    > How much is that flexibility worth, in practice?
    > Which cases use it?

    Well, to me when you replace 1 simple concept with 2 less powerful ones,

On grounds of principle, it is clear what is better.  Making defface
follow the general practice of the rest of Lisp is more important than
making it more powerful to write defface specs in a terser way.

When I read that statement about flexibility, I thought you were
making a practical argument that real defspecs would be more complex
and harder to read.  Can you show me a real practical loss from this
change?