Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:51:22 -0500

    I don't understand the point of having a mechanism, if it's not supposed
    to used.

That is not what I said.  Using a display table is somewhat costly
so I don't want to use it *by default all the time.*

    For another you make all parts of the glyph the same, instead of just
    the escape, such that they become hard to tell apart.

Yes, I think it makes more sense that way.  In \208, all four of the
characters are part of a single escape sequence.  I think it is better
to highlight them all the same way.

However, if lots of people prefer to highlight just the first
char, I won't insist.

    And you forgot sticky space and soft hyphen, which now again look
    identical to their non-special counterparts.

I don't know what you're talking about, here.  This feature was
supposed to be for escape sequences, characters not actually in the
text.

     As for ellipses, there
    should at least be a simple option.

I agree with the person who didn't want them highlighted.

    Alas they no
    longer combine with other faces, such as selection, which is a giant
    step backwards.

I do not understand.  What do you mean?