Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: undo in loaddefs.el buffer
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:03:39 -0600 (CST)

Jan D. wrote:

   It is a strange case.  I have to hit Ctrl-g three times
   for the yes-or-no question in the minibuffer to be canceled, but then a
   yes-or-no dialog pops up.  It is the same behaviour regardless of toolkit.

Juri Linkov wrote:

   No, I have `use-dialog-box' set to t (i.e. haven't changed the default).
   But the problem is the following: undo asks the question in the minibuffer,
   and after I type C-g in the minibuffer, it repeats the same question
   with a pop-up menu.

   I expected that if it's really not allowed to quit during asking the
   question and leave the question unanswered, then at least after C-g it
   should repeat the same question in the minibuffer, not in a pop-up menu.

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I don't follow.  If you type C-g, that should quit the command that is
   asking the question, so it won't produce any more undo info and it
   won't ask any more questions.

   If something other than that happens for you, why does it happen?
   Is it a bug?

If, for instance, a timer is involved that runs once every five
seconds, or even more frequently, then, after the quit, the timer will
run again, make the undo entry even larger without adding an undo
boundary and ask the question again.  And again, until something
creates an undo boundary.  I do not _know_ whether something like this
is happening in the situations described above, but until I committed
a patch yesterday evening, the described behavior was exactly what would
happen (with up to a five second delay) if you auto-reverted the
Buffer Menu every five seconds.

The popup menu could be explained by any intervening mouse click.

Sincerely,

Luc.