RE: Info-history-forward

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info-history-forward
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:11:43 -0800

    > Five-button mice often have mouse-5 and mouse-4 bound by
    > default to forward and back for Web browsing etc.
    > I'd suggest these bindings in `info' for
    > Emacs too, by default.

    At the least I think it would have to be a system-specific binding --
    mouse-4 and mouse-5 represent the scroll-wheel on X systems, and it
    would definitely be bad to bind the scroll-wheel to
    backward/forward-history!

    In general it seems as if anything except buttons 1-3 may be too
    inconsistently defined to have a very useful default binding.  [a
    shame, because some mice seem to have about 20 "buttons" of one sort
    or another!]

Yes, a shame (although I'll no doubt steer clear of *20*-button mice -
sounds diabolically teratological, and they likely just return "42", which
is not the answer I'm looking for).

Depending on how similar the various platforms behave in this regard,
perhaps it could be the default value for those platforms for which it
works?

The thing about "X systems" is not clear to me. I use this on both Windows
(21.3.50) and Linux (21.3.1) - I use the mouse wheel (e.g. for scrolling)
and I still have `mouse-4' bound to `Info-last'. On Linux I have the
impression that I'm using X Window :-). Just what is the platform-specific
caveat? What am I blissfully missing?

Thanks,

  Drew