Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:26:03 -0500

        The current situation, where (after 0 changes) save-buffer
        returns "(No changes need to be saved)" and write-file
        nevertheless writes a different file, is unfortunate and messy.

I looked at changing this, but couldn't find a good way to do it.
I tried to provide values of require-final-newline
that only add a newline if the file is really changed.

But it is hard to distinguish use of write-file from "really changed"
because write-file operates by marking the buffer as modified
(that is how it forces a save).

Do you have any ideas?  It would not be hard to make a further
change here.