Re: Scrolling change

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Scrolling change
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:41:52 +0200

>       * Lisp Changes in Emacs 21.4
>
>       +++
>     + ** The line-move, scroll-up, and scroll-down functions will now
>     + modify the window vscroll to scroll through display rows that are
>     + taller that the height of the window, for example in the presense of
>     + large images.  To disable this feature, Lisp code may bind the new
>     + variable `auto-window-vscroll' to nil.
>
> This seems like mainly a user-level change, so it should be described
> in the user changes section.  Also, I think the new scrolling feature
> may needs to be in the Emacs Manual.

Vscrolling is not a user-controlled feature as such, and the current
description in NEWS is about Lisp functions behaving differently, but
with a user visible effect to fix short-comings of previous releases.

Also, I do not envision that a user would want to disable
auto-window-vscroll (so it is not a defcustom).

So I suggest to keep the above entry as is.

> Could you DTRT with NEWS?

I have added the following description to the user visible changes:

** Moving or scrolling through images (and other lines) taller that
the window now works sensible, by automatically adjusting the window's
vscroll property.

>                              Also maybe the Emacs Manual, but if you
> just add the new item to NEWS, that will serve as a reminder to update
> the Emacs Manual.

IMO, the new functionality is "obvious", so I don't think it is
necessary to mention this in the Emacs Manual - and I don't know
what to write or where...